From styling tools to monthly dye jobs, our hair takes a beating. If your locks are starting to look a little frazzled, there’s no need to get your hair in a knot. Use essential oils for hair to add shine and bounce to your locks, so you can have the gorgeous, healthy hair of your dreams! All you need for envy-worthy tresses are items you already have around the house, including essential oils, carrier oils, water, and a couple of other tools and ingredients.
What are you waiting for? Gather your supplies and try these hair DIYs to tame, moisturize, and clarify your mane.
DIY Dry Hair Spritz
First up is our easy-peasy recipe for dry hair repair. If your hair is dull or naturally dry, spritz this treatment all over to lock in moisture without adding grease. Use this spray before blow-drying and styling to boost shine, after you style to finish your do, or throughout the day to control frizz and unruly flyaways.
The essential oils in this mix boost shine and nourish your hair, while jojoba and V-6™ penetrate locks for lasting and non-greasy healing moisture.
How to make it:
1. Add all ingredients to a 12-ounce glass spray bottle.
2. Shake well before spritzing over wet hair, avoiding the roots. Or spray into your hands and rub over your hair to add moisture where you need it most.
3. Dry and style hair as normal. If needed, lightly spritz hair after styling for extra shine.
Hot Oil Treatment
Sometimes your hair needs a little extra boost. Whether pool chemicals have sucked the life out of your locks or sunny weather has left you with an itchy scalp, give your hair a much-needed timeout. Show moisture-starved and brittle ends some love with this deep-conditioning treatment containing some of the best essential oils for hair.
How to make it:
1. Heat some water on the stove or in the microwave and pour into a large glass bowl.
2. Put olive oil and sweet almond oil in a small jar, and place the jar in the bowl of hot water for 5-10 minutes until the oil is warm but not hot. Check the oil every 2 minutes until it is the right temperature. You should be able to put your finger in the oil comfortably.
Tip: Be careful not to overheat the oil, which can burn you. We call it a hot oil treatment, but it should really be warm oil.
3. Add essential oils and mix well.
4. Apply to hair from roots to ends, massaging into scalp and saturating ends for hydration where you need it most. Comb through to ensure even application.
5. Cover with a shower cap and leave on for at least 20 minutes.
6. Wash hair—if it’s extra oily, wash twice.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Supplement the conditioning benefits of our hot oil treatment with our clarifying apple cider vinegar rinse. If built-up product has left you in a hairy situation, use this recipe to help untangle the mess. After you rinse away the excess weight from dead skin cells, pool chemicals, saltwater, shampoo, and conditioner, you’ll notice more bounce and volume to your hair.
In addition to helping you nail the perfect hair flip, our apple cider vinegar rinse also soothes the scalp and adds luster to your locks.
What you need:
- 16-ounce glass spray bottle
- 1/4-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 drops Clary Sage essential oil
- 3 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 2 drops German Chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
Tip: For dry hair, use 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar; for normal to oily hair, use 1/2 cup.
How to make it:
1. Mix all ingredients together in the spray bottle.
2. Spray mixture all over hair, focusing on the scalp and roots. Lift hair in sections to make sure you completely saturate your hair—your hair should be thoroughly damp, but not dripping.
3. Massage into scalp with fingertips to stimulate the scalp and increase circulation.
4. Let the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes.
5. Rinse, then shampoo and condition hair as normal.
6. Use once per week.
Want to learn more about the best essential oils to use for gorgeous hair? Find out how you can use essential oils to get mermaid-worthy hair!
What’s your essential oil secret to fabulous-looking hair?
Tell us about it in the comments!